Wild Blueberry Pudding

3 cups manoomin milk (wild rice milk)

2/3 cup yellow cornmeal or masa harina*

1 cup maple syrup

1 tsp. sea salt

1/4 cup sunflower oil

1/2 to 2/3 cup wild blueberries

1 cup (more) wild rice milk

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Grease 2-qt. casserole dish (with sunflower oil). Heat 3 cups manoomin milk and the maple syrup. Mix cornmeal or masa harina and sea salt. Gradually stir into hot milk mixture. Add sunflower oil. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes or until thickened. Fold in wild blueberries and pour into dish. Then pour 1 cup manoomin milk over pudding; do not stir. Bake 3 hours. (In my little toaster oven it took much less time, but I remember the original recipe’s baking time being accurate. Just keep checking.)

*The recipe works best using masa harina. But if it is unavailable, finely-ground cornmeal will do.

Here is the description of Masa Harina Golden Corn Flour from the Bob’s Red Mill package:

Masa, the Spanish word for “dough”, is the traditional dough used to make corn tortillas. It is made with dried corn kernels that have been cooked and soaked in limewater and then ground into masa. Masa harina (“dough flour”) is flour made from dried masa.

(This flour works wonderfully, but I have a concern that it may be GMO. It says the product is “natural.” That’s it. I tried to find out on their website and through Google, but found no information in this area. Some of the other Bob’s Red Mill products state they are “organic,” so this leads me to wonder.)

Picture of Martin Reinhardt
Re: Wild Blueberry Pudding
by Martin Reinhardt - Saturday, May 5, 2012, 8:57 PM

I looked into Bob's Red Mill products Barb. They sell both. The ones that say "organic" and have the USDA organic lable are the ones that are non-GMO. They won't guarantee that the others ones are or are not.

Picture of Martin Reinhardt
by Martin Reinhardt - Saturday, May 5, 2012, 9:08 PM

Here are some others that are known to be GMO according to the Institute for Responsible Technology http://www.responsibletechnology.org/

Aunt Jemima (Pinnacle Foods)
Betty Crocker (General Mills)
Calumet Baking Powder (Kraft)
Duncan Hines (Pinnacle Foods)
Hungry Jack (Smucker's)
Pillsbury (Smucker's)

Picture of Bradley Barb
by Bradley Barb - Sunday, May 6, 2012, 12:49 PM

Since you wrote this, Marty, I have found a couple sources of organic masa flour - Goldmine Natural Foods and Anson Mills, which also uses heirloom seeds in their products. Both are very expensive, but sound like the best. And since most commercial masa suppliers use lime in their product, it would not be DDP-approved. I am tempted to make masa myself, next fall, with hardwood ash lye. But it is so caustic, even though somewhat safer than the food grade lye used in making hominy, which often contains mercury. I want my masa to be DDP-OK, but I am leaning toward making it with lime, as the traditional Mexicans do. Although I saw a film at Whitman Commons once, narrated by Gary Farmer, that showed a Native person making hominy with lye. If they have been making it for centuries like that, it should be ok, right?
Picture of Bradley Barb
by Bradley Barb - Sunday, February 24, 2013, 10:27 AM

I just want to add a few notes to this recipe, after trying it again - with cornmeal several times (instead of masa harina):

* I also have been using pumpkin seed milk, instead of wild rice milk, and find I like it better.

* Just reminding people of this old baking tip: When using a glass pan to bake in, remember to adjust the temperature to 25 degrees lower than the recipe calls for.

* When I made this dish in a glass pan in my regular oven (rather than 1/3 the recipe in my toaster oven, as I had been doing), I needed to actually turn the temperature down to 250 degrees after awhile. (I was afraid that it was cooking a little too hot and fast.) Keep an eye on it and judge for yourself.

* One more thing...Since I was out of wild blueberries this time, I had to use larger, cultivated ones. I felt that the amount looked too sparse when folded in, so I added more. I think that is why the finished texture was not quite as solid, but it still turned out good (just a little different), in my opinion.