Picture of Bradley Barb
Cream of Sweet Potato & Wild Leek Soup
by Bradley Barb - Saturday, May 5, 2012, 7:56 PM

Cream of Sweet Potato-Wild Leek Soup

Figure amounts by this: I just had 1 large sweet potato and 5 wild leek bulbs, so take it from there.

In a pot, sauté chopped wild leek bulbs in sunflower oil, until clear. Cut up sweet potato and add to pot. Add water to cover (and a little more), then boil until potatoes are cooked thoroughly.

Pour mixture into blender and blend until creamy.

Then pour into bowls and eat as is, or even better, sprinkle with wild leek green salt. The dried green leeks are like parsley in color and texture, and add a wonderful flavor to this simple, but tasty soup.

Picture of Bradley Barb
Re: Cream of Sweet Potato & Wild Leek Soup
by Bradley Barb - Saturday, May 5, 2012, 10:12 PM

I forgot to say - remove from heat, after sauteing the leeks - until you can get the peeled and cut up sweet potatoes in the pot with the water. (Otherwise, there'll be a scorching problem.)
Picture of April Lindala
by April Lindala - Monday, May 7, 2012, 6:47 PM

aanii Barb,

I tried this recipe with the gift package of goodies that the Center's staff members gave to me and mom following everything last week. For my soup, I went a little bit different and a bit larger -- so I could freeze some for my mom.

I used one winter squash (butternut I think) about the size of a small football and two large sweet potatoes. Oh yeah, my friend, Jim had dropped off some wild leeks from his property too. So I used those too.

I peeled, cut the squash and sweet potatoes. Had them at a medium high boil in a 2.5 quart pot of water with some kosher salt. Cooked up about 20 leeks in a separate pan with white pine tea water and kosher salt on medium low heat and covered. After the leeks were cooked, I cut the bulbs off. This is because I couldn't remember for sure what you had said...so I had to run and check on my mom's computer while everything was cooking.

Since I wanted to eat the leek greens I dropped them back in the tea water and let them sit and steam some more until serving time. I checked on the squash and sweet potatoes for softness. When they were ready, I was able to  blender up about 4 quarts of soup.

I could have added more leeks for my taste. although now...about an hour later...I can still taste leeks. haha.

My mom said that she did like the recipe, but she suggested next time add some chicken or turkey broth and some wild garlic. Well...there wasn't any left so I assumed she did like it. She added crackers to her soup while I ate mine with Tostitos blue corn chips. Yummy overall in my book. Thanks for sharing.

Picture of Bradley Barb
by Bradley Barb - Wednesday, May 9, 2012, 5:37 PM

Yeah, I am putting a few more leeks in next time, probably. That was just my little sample when I was seeing where they were at, growingwise. And I  only had the one potato.

All of the recipe additions sound good. I will probably try out the pumpkin and wild garlic, when we are able to forage that. As much as I like throwing in as much as I can to a recipe, most of the time, I like the simplicity of the one I cooked - as with the cream of asparagus soup I have always made.

Picture of Kristine Maki
by Kristine Maki - Thursday, May 10, 2012, 10:10 PM

Barb, I forgot to tell you at the potluck. This soup, even with its simplicity, is delicious! I have all of the ingredients to make this now. The co-op was selling some bunches of local wild leeks (yes!). I need to get a pal and have them teach me how to find these things (haha). Miigwetch for this recipe :)
Picture of Bradley Barb
by Bradley Barb - Monday, January 28, 2013, 6:35 PM

To make this soup TWICE as good, add cooked Wild Rice. And don't forget the 'parsley-like' wild leek greens if you have them.