DDP Recipes Forum
Maple Sugar-Coated Pecans
Makes 4 cups
Maple Sugar-coated Pecans*
4 cups raw pecan halves
¼ cup sunflower oil
¼ cup maple syrup
½ cup maple sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spread pecans on large baking sheet. Toast for 4 minutes, stirring halfway.
- Remove pecans from oven, place in a large bowl. Add the sunflower oil and stir with a wooden spoon until thoroughly coated. Add the maple syrup and stir until thoroughly coated. Add the maple sugar, stirring until thoroughly coated.
- Heat a large cast-skillet to medium-high. Add the pecans, scraping all of the mixture from the bowl. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2 ½ to 3 minutes.
- Transfer pecans to a platter or the original (clean) baking sheet (Terry transfers to parchment paper). Quickly spread out, separating them with a fork. Set aside to cool.
- Serve warm (Also tasty completely cooled.)
*Adapted from “Double Maple-Coated Pecans” in Vegan Soul Kitchen by Bryant Terry.
No Oil Variation: I tried the recipe, eliminating the oil. You need to add a little more maple syrup to replace it. The coating mixture evaporates a little sooner in the skillet – so stir faster!