Picture of Cadeau Jessica
Blonde brownies
by Cadeau Jessica - Monday, November 5, 2012, 9:28 PM

My inspiration for this recipe comes from another recipe that I made a few weeks ago. It is "No Flour Black Bean Brownies" and they were...just amazing. The recipe is here: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/ 

So I took that and twisted it around a bit and omitted the extras to get this recipe. It tastes remarkably different than the black bean brownies, which surprised me. I would say the black bean chocolate ones were way better, but for all you hardcore DDPers, this one is fun! Very decadent...

-1 1/2 cups cooked white beans

-1/2 cup nut or other DDP friendly flour. (I used pumpkin seed flour)

-1/4 teaspoon salt

-1/2 cup maple syrup

-1/4 cup sunflower oil

Preheat oven to 350. Add all ingredients into a food processor and process until as smooth as you can get it. The smoother the better, because these are brownies and you don't want some random bean bits to remind you that these are not as naughty as they seem. Grease an 8 x 8 pan and pour puree in pan. Bake for at least 15 minutes (usually longer), or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.

*Notes: This was the first time I tried it and I think it could use some tweaking. I used great northern beans. Other beans may have better texture for this? The brownies seemed a bit...grainy compared to the black bean ones I made. The brownies came out a bit more moist than I would have liked and didn't stay together as well as the other ones did. Perhaps longer baking or maybe try a flour that would absorb some moisture- like corn flour. The sunflower oil wasn't as bad as I was expecting in there either. Although it smelled strong when I first took it out of the oven. It's also really important to let these brownies cool completely before trying to cut them and eat them. They cut better and taste better when cool (READ: Less beany!!!).

Picture of Kristine Maki
Re: Blonde brownies
by Kristine Maki - Monday, November 5, 2012, 10:19 PM

OH MY!!! We just made cookies tonight and brownies sound amazing! Can't wait to try this recipe out-- especially on this 100% DDP week. Hmm, we'll have to think of how to tweak this recipe. I bet it was delicious though!!!!