Picture of April Lindala
Marty - help?! Pumpkin seed milk recipe...need specifics.
by April Lindala - Thursday, October 25, 2012, 2:00 AM

After searching a bunch of your journals I finally found this....

"I also made some pumpkin seed milk (formerly called DDP hot choke-let). Instead of leaving the pumpkin seed sediment in the liquid, I strained it and then squeezed it through the white t-shirt. It is still a bit grainy, but much better."

I can't find the DDP Hot Choke-let recipe either (and my eyes are tired) - so I don't know any of your measurements of ingredients or what it is you are actually doing. Your assistance will be most appreciated. :-)

I'm looking forward to trying this out soon. The milk and the pumpkin seed gruel!  

Chi miigwech!!!

Picture of Samantha Hasek
Re: Marty - help?! Pumpkin seed milk recipe...need specifics.
by Samantha Hasek - Thursday, October 25, 2012, 3:12 PM

Whoops! it was recorded in the recipe book but hadn't made it on the forum. The recipe goes as follows:

3 cups ground pumpkin seed flour
1/8 cup sunchoke powder
1/2 cup maple sugar

Mix the dry ingredients together well. Boil two quarts of water and pour the mix in to the boiling water; continue to boil for 5 to ten minutes. Stir continually. Mix will become foamy; liquid will become darker. Let cool. Solids settle to the bottom; oil layer forms on top. Strain liquid through a large strainer and into a bowl covered with cheese cloth; press solids to release any more liquid. Refrigerate liquid; shake well before using. If desired, save the solids, refrigerate, and reheat for a breakfast gruel the next morning.

Makes about 2 quarts.

Picture of April Lindala
Re: Marty - help?! Pumpkin seed milk recipe...need specifics.
by April Lindala - Friday, October 26, 2012, 8:20 AM

miigwech Sam!

Picture of April Lindala
BARB BRADLEY - Pumpkin seed milk recipe...need specifics.
by April Lindala - Sunday, October 28, 2012, 1:25 PM

Barb - I need your help. will you please post your pumpkin seed milk recipe here. It looks like a better option for me.

Here's what happened. I thought your e-mail messages were actually DDP posts here that were also coming in my INBOX. And because I have over 18,000 emails in my INBOX, I deleted your e-mail messages thinking I would have access to what you wrote here. So...my mistake. Sorry!!!

Picture of Bradley Barb
Re: BARB BRADLEY - Pumpkin seed milk recipe...need specifics.
by Bradley Barb - Sunday, October 28, 2012, 10:21 PM

ALERT!!!  PUMPKIN SEED MILK RECIPE   (kidding) 

No prob, except for you know me, I don't measure everything. I just eyeball and/or taste it. If I had more than a handful of pumpkin seeds right now, I'd whip up a batch so I could get the measurements. But...

All I do is grind up the pumpkin seeds in the coffee grinder - how ya make the flour. Then I put it in the blender and add water - I'd say 2 to 1 (water to powder), then blend a few seconds (when it's nice and creamy), and it's done!

Actually, I usually start out with somewhat less water ('cause I don't want it too thin). Then I water it down to the desired consistency (heehee). I do not strain. When the tiny bits settle to the bottom,  just shake the jar. When there is almost no liquid left, add a little more water, then shake, and you've got a little more instant milk.

Also, I prefer it unsweetened. 

p.s. I s'pose I could post this on the recipe forum, but I thought that Marty had put his version up. If he did, I could always just add my comments/tips to his. Whatev...

Picture of Bradley Barb
Re: BARB BRADLEY - Pumpkin seed milk recipe...need specifics.
by Bradley Barb - Sunday, October 28, 2012, 10:30 PM

Oh, I see. There's all that boilin' and strainin' with Marty's recipe. Gotcha.

Marty, just use my recipe. All that time  saved you could be takin' Bo for a walk or somethin'.