Picture of Cadeau Jessica
Dandelion Root Coffee
by Cadeau Jessica - Friday, March 30, 2012, 4:40 PM

When foraging for dandelions, make sure to pluck the root out with your greens and save up a bunch of roots. When you get a good handful of roots collected, wash them up well and try to remove as much dirt as possible. Next, blend up the roots in a food processor or blender to break them into 1/4" or so pieces. Mine actually got blended up way smaller because my blender is high powered and it still worked out just fine. I think it reduced my roasting time, which is actually a good thing. Spread out the roots on a baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees until they are deep tan in color. They will make your house smell like chocolate! I kid you not! YUM! After they are roasted and cooled down, grind them like you would coffee beans and brew it like coffee. We ended up with 2 tablespoons of ground roots and we brewed it with 3 cups of water in our coffee maker and as an avid coffee drinker, I would say that it was weak and would adjust accordingly next time. The flavor, however, was AMAZING! I could definitely replace my coffee with this, if only I could get over the lack of caffeine!

Use caution, however, as the dandelion roots are a diuretic (as is caffeine). And also, do some quick research online before consuming because I thought I read that it may affect the efficiency of some medications. Otherwise, this is a great substitute for anyone looking to reduce or eliminate their consumption of coffee. :)

Picture of Kristine Maki
Re: Dandelion Root Coffee
by Kristine Maki - Sunday, May 13, 2012, 10:01 PM

I seen a video on this and she put them in to steep for 10 minutes like tea (small pieces of the dried root). Maybe that's why yours was weak? Hmmm, I'm looking in my yard in Harvey and it is covered with dandelions. I'm assuming this is the "common dandelion" that we are aloud to eat, right?

I'm sure I could just harvest these babies for the winter, right? ;)
My neighbors are going to think I'm crazy digging up these things. Everyone hates them here and everyone gets ticked that I let my yard grow a little. Now I have an excuse!
Picture of Kristine Maki
Re: Dandelion Root Coffee
by Kristine Maki - Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 10:35 PM

Okay! 1 tsp ground roasted root per 1 cup of water makes an awesome "coffee". It's fresh and has a hint of chocolate which makes me happy because I am a huge chocolate fiend. ;)
1.5 tsp for a stronger brew and I figure when I do that I'll add a little wild rice milk and some maple sugar/syrup and ooohlala!!!! And I did just use my coffee pot and it worked very nicely.

I love this, Jess. I really do. =D