Picture of Kristine Maki
Pumpcorn Bread
by Kristine Maki - Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 8:41 PM

I have to give Mitch props for the name of the bread- it was all him. haha This can easily be tweaked a bit but it is pretty good like this. Next time I want to try to add a bit more pumpkin puree and perhaps less oil...it took a VERY long to bake all the way through. This will definitely work nicely in a smaller bread pan or muffin tins as well. Will bake sooner, too....

2 cups cornmeal (i used medium grind)
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seed flour
1/2 tsp salt
**I did use 3 tsp baking powder but can easily be omitted.
1/2 cup maple sugar

2 duck eggs, beaten
1 cup wild rice milk
2 Tbs butternut squash seed oil (or any ddp oil)
1 cup pumpkin puree

Top with raw pumpkin seeds

Mix dry ingredients first until well combined.
In a separate bowl, mix all wet ingredients than slowly combine the two just until blended. Too much will make your bread more dense.

Pour in greased (sunflower seed spray) 9x4 bread pan, or whatever you have...I baked mine at 425* for about 35-40 minutes. It took so long!! The middle was so mushy for awhile. Take out when a knife becomes damp..don't let it get completely clean otherwise your bread will be toooo dry. :)

Enjoy!

Picture of April Lindala
Re: Pumpcorn Bread
by April Lindala - Saturday, October 6, 2012, 6:16 PM

Do you think it would be too dense with more pumpkin seed flour?  I would like to try something similar...but would swap the measurements for the pumpkin seed flour and corn meal. Like the touch of seeds on top! I have smaller bread pans too. This looks great. Nice job.

Picture of Kristine Maki
Re: Pumpcorn Bread
by Kristine Maki - Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 11:11 PM

I liked the texture the bread had with the medium grind cornmeal and the flavor would change by swapping the flour measurements but I could see the bread getting more dense with more PS flour. Let me know how it goes though. I'm going to make more this week (making more milk now) and will use more pumpkin puree this time. I loved the small pumpkin chunks randomly in the mix. It made the texture more fun. :)