Picture of Bradley Barb
Cranberry Leather
by Bradley Barb - Sunday, September 23, 2012, 2:18 PM

Cranberry Leather

4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries

1 cup water

1 ½ cups maple sugar

Place cranberries and water in non-aluminum pot. Bring to boil, turn heat down to a simmer, then cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes (or till cooked through), stirring occasionally. Take off heat and mash berry mixture with a potato masher.  Place pot back on low heat and add maple sugar, gradually, while stirring. Simmer and stir frequently until maple sugar is completely dissolved and the fruit puree has thickened – another 5 or 10 minutes or so.

If desired, strain through a mesh strainer to get the skins out, using a wooden spoon to help it along. Further straining, through cheesecloth, can be done to remove most of the seeds, although I prefer to leave the skins and seeds in.

Lightly oil (w/ DDP-eligible sunflower oil) a glass pan. Pour puree into pan and spread to 1/8” – 1/4” thickness.

Cook in oven at 130-140 degrees for 8-12 hours.

(Leather is done when it is no longer sticky and – if had been strained – has a smooth surface.)

Cool. Remove from pan.  Wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper, then store in fridge in airtight container.

*Note: For a more traditional way (which I haven't tried yet), tent cheesecloth over tray outside in hot sun.

Picture of April Lindala
Re: Cranberry Leather
by April Lindala - Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 6:55 PM

What size glass pan do you use? Hopefully my glass pan is not too big. Would sunflower oil spray work or do you need oil coating (like using a brush?). I think I am going to try this recipe this weekend. Since I'm not worried about the skins or seeds...do I need to strain?!

I still need to video tape an interview with you and I owe you maple sugar. My cell phone is 869-3994 so call me so we can come up with some interview time. miigwech!!

Picture of April Lindala
by April Lindala - Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 6:56 PM

oh yeah...my oven doesn't cook that "low" so i'm stuck with 170 degrees. any suggestions?!

Picture of Kristine Maki
by Kristine Maki - Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 10:44 PM

I've madestrawberry leather before and I remember seeing a recipe that said to leave your oven door cracked open. That must be for those hotter ovens. Your leather just needs to dry out slowly without crisping (that's why it's so easy to burn). I would search online and see which recipe works for you.

PS: Let me know about these gatherings and possible women retreats so I can plan. :)