Picture of Kristine Maki
Kris' Basic Waffle/Pancake Recipe
by Kristine Maki - Monday, September 24, 2012, 11:45 PM

The photo was my very first batch of waffles. I was trying not to overfill the iron AND use less so they would cook better. The very first ones I did aren't even in the photo because they fell apart. The less method worked out for the batter. I would LOVE to try some sweet potato puree in my next batch. I also wanted to make some zucchini ones. Will let you know. Here's my standard recipe though.

Using my hand blender machine (what are those called? lol) I "whisk" my egg whites until stiff (the whites are a mirangue type consistency and peak when you lift the blender tool out). It makes the end product more soft and fluffy.
I do this with my pancakes as well but only until the whites begin to peak but still soft.

In my recipe it's basically DRY: 1/2 C corn flour (i think it's so overpowering in pancakes/waffles) so I use less than the rest, 1 C or more of pumpkin seed flour, 1 C or more of wild rice flour, few dashes of sea salt, handful of sunflower seeds, almost a 1/3 C maple sugar, 1/2 C or so of rosehips...WET: 2 duck eggs (separated), wild rice milk to favored consistency, handful or two of blueberries, 1/4 C or so of butternut squash seed oil (sunflower is too overpowering for me).

I fold in the egg whites last (ever so gently). :)

I spray sunflower oil on my waffle iron, too. It might be the wild rice flour but if I don't cook mine for over 8 minutes or so...they'll crumble and flake all over. My pancakes do this, too. 

I love hazelnut butter on mine with maple cream and pecan pieces! I always make a large batch to freeze so I always have some on-hand. Works nicely for those busy mornings.