Picture of April Lindala
Sweet Potato Waffles
by April Lindala - Saturday, September 8, 2012, 6:00 PM

Geez oh petes...this is some work folks, but it is SO worth it.

DDP SWEET POTATO WAFFLES

3 sweet potatoes (10-12 ounces each)

3 cups of water

3 tablespoons of sunflower oil

1 cup pumpkin seed flour

1/2 cup corn meal

1/2 pecan flour

1/2 maple sugar (plus 3 tablespoons - keep seperate)

2 tsps of kosher salt (again seperate)

3 duck eggs (need to seperate)

Shave off skin and slice up sweet potatoes. set potatoes at medium boil in 3 cups of water with 1 tsp of the kosher salt. Keep on medium high until potatoes are soft (didn't keep track of time...but it was a while).

Scoop up potatoes and put in a blender...add one cup of the hot water with the potatoes. Puree. I needed to stop and push the sweet potatoes downward into my blender. You folks may have better appliances. Once sweet potatoes look nice and whipped, place in a large mixing bowl.I ended up with about 3 cups of whipped sweet potatoes.

At this point crack three duck eggs and put the yolks with the sweet potatoes. Keep whites aside for a minute. Add 3 tablespoons of sunflower oil to the potatoes and yolk and mix well.

In another mixing bowl, mix together dry ingredients - pumpkin seed flour, corn meal (#299 bulk @ Mqt Co-op), maple sugar, pecan flour and salt together.

Add moist mixture to this dry mixture. Mix all of this together and set aside.

Work on those duck egg whites.  i can't tell if this really worked or not, but I read that this (egg whites) makes a difference for waffles as opposed to pancakes. So...I added 3 tablespoons of maple sugar to the egg whites and whipped with a whisk until thoroughly mixed together.Then I folded the egg white maple sugar mixture into the waffle batter.

I brushed sunflower oil on my waffle pan and tossed the leftover oil (maybe one tsp) into the batter and mixed up some more. So...then when my waffle pan was ready I poured/spread the batter over the iron.

The first time...I didn't let them sit long enough. So the waffles fell apart. The second time, I let them cook for ten minutes. Turned out a bit cake-like...but perfectly shape and came out easily. They taste very good.

Next time I try this recipe I might see about adding 1/3 cup of pumpkin seed milk (provided Marty will share some) for a bit more moisture. But...really...truly...they are pretty darn good just like how I made them this time.

This recipe made eight decent sized waffles (with my waffle iron) witth maybe 3/4 cup of mixture left over. I put this in a container with a bit of water and shook it up. i'll use that to make pancakes in the morning.

For those of you who have had waffles with fried chicken...might I say...i can taste fried chicken with these waffles FOR SURE! 

Picture of Kristine Maki
Kris' Basic Waffle/Pancake Recipe
by Kristine Maki - Monday, September 24, 2012, 11:45 PM

The photo was my very first batch of waffles. I was trying not to overfill the iron AND use less so they would cook better. The very first ones I did aren't even in the photo because they fell apart. The less method worked out for the batter. I would LOVE to try some sweet potato puree in my next batch. I also wanted to make some zucchini ones. Will let you know. Here's my standard recipe though.

Using my hand blender machine (what are those called? lol) I "whisk" my egg whites until stiff (the whites are a mirangue type consistency and peak when you lift the blender tool out). It makes the end product more soft and fluffy.
I do this with my pancakes as well but only until the whites begin to peak but still soft.

In my recipe it's basically DRY: 1/2 C corn flour (i think it's so overpowering in pancakes/waffles) so I use less than the rest, 1 C or more of pumpkin seed flour, 1 C or more of wild rice flour, few dashes of sea salt, handful of sunflower seeds, almost a 1/3 C maple sugar, 1/2 C or so of rosehips...WET: 2 duck eggs (separated), wild rice milk to favored consistency, handful or two of blueberries, 1/4 C or so of butternut squash seed oil (sunflower is too overpowering for me).

I fold in the egg whites last (ever so gently). :)

I spray sunflower oil on my waffle iron, too. It might be the wild rice flour but if I don't cook mine for over 8 minutes or so...they'll crumble and flake all over. My pancakes do this, too. 

I love hazelnut butter on mine with maple cream and pecan pieces! I always make a large batch to freeze so I always have some on-hand. Works nicely for those busy mornings.