2 cans of cooked great northern beans, or roughly 3 cups of homemade beans

2 cups of corn meal

1 cup of pumpkin seed flour

½ cup of maple sugar

½ table spoon sun choke powder

½ table spoon leek salt

1 tea spoon sea salt

½ tea spoon sweet fern

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Heat sun flower oil to about 160 degrees or hotter, and spoon in portions of the mixture and let deep fry for about 2-2 ½ minutes depending on cooking temperature. The longer it sits in the oil, the more oil the food absorbs, so the hotter the oil the faster the cooking time. Some websites recommend a lower temperature so as not to break down certain chemicals within the oil. Sun flower oil has a smoke point of about 450 degrees F.  Remove falafel from oil and place on paper towel to soak up excess oil.  

Picture of April Lindala
Re: DDP Falafel
by April Lindala - Friday, August 17, 2012, 5:56 PM

These were excellent. Can't wait to have them again. 

Can I ask you Marty, please put up link to where we can order the sun choke powder. 

Also...can I trade you something for leek salt and sweet fern? I'm not sure what I might have...but maybe I can purchase something for you (i.e. fish or whatever).  I think I have access to everything else.

Picture of Martin Reinhardt
by Martin Reinhardt - Friday, August 17, 2012, 7:59 PM

Here is the link to the sunchoke powder (they call it jerusalem artichoke or inulin powder, but it is the same thing).

https://www.brightearthfoods.com/catalog/superfoods/inulin-powder/

I will trade as much ground sweet fern as you want April, but my limited supply of leeks keeps me from trading too much leek salt. I will trade you one small baggie though. I will gladly trade for whitefish, perch, or walleye which are all available at Thills.  

Picture of Cadeau Jessica
by Cadeau Jessica - Sunday, March 3, 2013, 2:55 PM

These also worked well baked in the oven. I rolled mine into 1 1/2- 2 inch balls and placed them on a greased baking sheet. I baked them at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes, turning the balls over halfway through the baking time.

Picture of Bradley Barb
by Bradley Barb - Monday, March 11, 2013, 3:23 PM

Other DDP falafel suggestions:

I tried Marty’s recipe with and without maple sugar (and when included, a little less than Marty’s called for). With the non- maple sugar variation and the original recipe (both w/o sunchoke powder, which was not available in my kitchen), I divided each batch in half – using both the fried and the baked (Jessica’s) methods of cooking. What I found is that, while I usually prefer baking over frying, for health reasons, I think I would choose frying in the future. The reasons being:

1. The oil kept drying up (becoming absorbed by falafel) on the baking sheet, so I had to keep adding it.

2. While requiring more oil for cooking, frying takes much less time – and fuel – than baking.

I also tried a DDP adaption of my own, more Middle Eastern version, also in divided batches – one with, and one without maple sugar, each recipe tried both fried and baked (doin’ some experimenting). These were made without pumpkin seed flour, and with only a small amount of corn flour (1/3 cup to 4 cups beans) and a few drops of water added.

While the end products came out very close in taste (which surprised me), I do prefer the taste of the one with less flour. (It is also easier to work with.)

As far as using maple sugar as an ingredient, I could go either way, although I am leaning more towards the addition of it (but, as I said earlier, a little less).

Another thing is, I more than doubled the sweet fern (but I almost always add more herbs than recipes call for). Oh, and I would like to try minced wild leek bulbs in the mixture next time.

All in all, DDP falafels are a great addition to our recipe collection.