Picture of Zachary Lancaster
Deer Tallow
by Zachary Lancaster - Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 1:30 AM

If anyone is interested this fall in making deer tallow, including soaps, or candles, pemmican, or just plain ole axel grease, let me know. I will form a workshop after all of the deer have been slain for those of you interested.

We are using a peppermint flavored tallow soap, 100% deer fat, and it works wonderfully.  If you want to add DDP flavors, grab them this spring and dry or freeze them for the fall.
Picture of Cadeau Jessica
Re: Deer Tallow
by Cadeau Jessica - Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 9:47 AM

I must say, I am extremely excited for this idea! I have been dying to learn how to make our own soaps and candles for a while now and we have just recently become very interested in pemmican as well. Thank you, thank you for willing to teach us all! This is the reason why I am doing DDP- to gain valuable skills and it is really neat that we are going to be sharing skills with others.
Picture of Sowa Treasa
by Sowa Treasa - Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 10:51 AM

It is very kind of you to share your skills. My sister makes many varieties of soaps which she sells at a farmer's market, but none with deer tallow. She uses various oils. This would be an interesting variety, I'm sure.

Found this interesting:

http://www.wildernesscollege.com/pemmican-recipes.html

Picture of Irish Nancy
by Irish Nancy - Thursday, March 29, 2012, 9:32 PM

Count me in, Zachary - I'd also love to learn what you've got to teach!

Miigwech,
Nancy Irish