Picture of Zachary Lancaster
Sugarbush Popcorn Balls
by Zachary Lancaster - Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 1:27 AM

Hello everyone-

I was sitting around the other night thinking of things to make, I love to cook, and this popped in my head.

The way I made it is as follows, granted I've only done this once.

3 Tablespoons Sunflower oil in a large pan/ pot. I used a large cast iron pot.
1 cup unpopped popcorn kernals
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup corn syrup (optional)
1/2 to 3/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup walnuts/pecans/etc.
(cranberries would be an excellent addition, however i didn't have any dried)

Directions:

Heat sunflower oil in skillet over medium heat, place kernals in heated oil and lightly cover top.  While popcorn is popping, Add maple syrup, salt, and corn syrup to a smaller pan and begin a rapid boil, thickening and warming the sugars. When rapid boil is acheived, add nuts and always continue to stir so as not to stick.  When popcorn begins to pop, shake the pot so the kernals do not burn in the hot grease, continue this process often. As soon as popcorn is finished popping, pour into large mixing bowl, add the sugar mixture and mix well. Set on cookie sheet to begin cooling in fridge. When tacky yet malleable, form into whatever shape you desire. I found just a flat sheet works well and is easily eaten like you would eat a sandwich or the like.  I hope it works well for all of you. This wouldn't be a bad Christmas treat either.

Miigwech,

-Zach
Picture of April Lindala
Re: Sugarbush Popcorn Balls
by April Lindala - Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 6:55 PM

Right on. Seems like great minds think alike. I was just thinking about doing something similar for thursday's pot luck. maple sugared pecans (oven baked) added to popcorn. Was going to try to make it tonight. Is there a specific corn syrup brand that is DDP-kewl?