Picture of Bradley Barb
Corn Flour-Pecan Pancakes
by Bradley Barb - Sunday, May 27, 2012, 2:08 PM

(or Vegan Corn Flour-Pecan Pancakes)

makes 4 little ‘patty’ pancakes or 1 large pancake

Ingredients:

½ cup (dry measure) organic cornmeal flour (not the coarsely-ground ‘polenta,’ but the corn flour – sold in bulk, #299, at the food coop.)

1/8 tsp. sea salt

1 to 1 ½ tsp. sunflower oil

½ cup (liquid measure) manoomin (wild rice) milk

scant ¼ cup pecans

maple sugar (enough for sprinkling on top)

Combine: corn flour and sea salt in small bowl. (With fork) evenly cut sunflower oil into flour/salt mixture (as you would if making pie crust). Stir in manoomin milk. Fold in pecans.

Heat cast iron frying pan or griddle. Coat well with sunflower oil. When oil is heated, pour or spoon batter into pan, forming pancakes. Cook pancakes on medium-low heat, till lightly browned on both sides. Transfer to plate. While hot, sprinkle with a good amount of maple sugar (like on a sugar donut).

*Note: I re-played the recipe this morning for you guys, measuring this time. The first batch was soooo good. My decision to put whole pecans in the batter, rather than pecan flour; and sprinkling the maple sugar on top instead of including it in the batter, really made these seem like some bakery delight. Trouble is, the taste of the measured batch didn’t come close to the first one, even though I was really being careful eyeing my measurements. They were still good, but I’ll have to keep testing the recipe, I guess.