Picture of Bradley Barb
Wild Miinan Pudding
by Bradley Barb - Saturday, May 26, 2012, 2:47 PM

(I DDP-adapted this from a chocolate pudding recipe on the back of an organic cornstarch box. I purchased this starch a couple years ago at the Marquette Food Coop. Hopefully it is still available there for everyone.)

Ingredients:

1 ½ cups wild blueberries (frozen)

1 ½ cups manoomin milk

2/3 cup maple syrup

¼ cup organic cornstarch

1/8 tsp. sea salt

2 TBSP. sunflower oil

Blend: 1 ½ cups blueberries and 1 ½ cups manoomin (wild rice) milk together (There will be little shavings of berry skins. You can strain if you want. I just left them in.)  Set aside.

Combine: organic cornstarch and sea salt in medium saucepan.

Gradually stir in milk/blueberry mixture until smooth. (No matter how patient I am during this step, I still end up with a few little lumps, so I use a handheld emersion blender to get it smooth. Some of you may have to use a regular blender for a few seconds, then pour back into pan.)

Then stir in maple syrup.

Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. (I cranked the flame up to HIGH for a minute or two, until it was heated through, always stirring constantly.)

Boil for 1 minute, still stirring. Remove from heat. Stir in sunflower oil.

Pour into serving bowl/s, cover, and refrigerate. Chill for at least 2 hours, or until set.

*Note:

I know that some of you do not have frozen wild blueberries on hand. In that case, use store-bought frozen blueberries.